Phone us on
1800 222 085
or send email
IPv6 Address ManagementIPv6 address formatting may appear difficult, but here is a non-exhaustive list of guides and tools to make it easier.
IPv6 Address Primers
- Best Current Operational Practices - IPv6 Subnetting
IPv6 subnetting guidelines for planning and implementing an IPv6 network.
- The IPv6 Prefix
Primer by Karl Auer
A brief, easy-to-follow introduction to IPv6 notation, prefixes and subnetting.
- IPv6 Address Design by Jeff Doyle
An introduction to scale, simplicity and efficiency in IPv6 address planning.
- How Are Your Hexadecimal Skills?
Some tips on easy hexadecimal manipulation.
Address Management for IPv6Software to help with IP address management (IPAM) has long been available for IPv4, and now IPv6 versions are becoming available. IPAM tools are important in IPv6 as networks have larger address pools, different subnetting techniques, and more complex 128-bit hexadecimal numbers. Here are links to some open source and commercial IPAM packages. IPv6Now does not guarantee any of these packages, links are supplied for information purposes only.
See this article (Jan 2015) on security aspects of some commercial IPAM packages:
Evaluation of (Security-related) IPv6 Capabilities of Commercial IPAM Solutions
Free IPv6 IPAM Packages
- GestióIP: automated, Web based IPv4/IPv6 address management software. The online subnet calculator includes a hierarchical IPv6 addressing plan builder for creation of organization-specific IPv6 allocation schemes. It features powerful network discovery functions, search and filter functions and an automated VLAN management system.
- NIPAP - Neat IP Address Planner: challenges classical IP address management (IPAM) systems in many areas. Developed at a European service provider, NIPAP is well suited for large organisations with massive amounts of IP addresses, as well as smaller enterprises with simple needs. The intuitive web interface lowers the barrier of entry for beginner users, while also offering advanced search by regexp and IPv4/IPv6 prefix.
- TeamIp: a robust Open Source web 2.0 solution that enables professional IP Management activity within IT departments of all size. A simple and powerful user interface will allow network administrators to manage their IPv4 and IPv6 Plans, subnet space and IPs in accordance with best in class IP Management practices.
- NOC Project: scalable, high-performance and open-source OSS system for ISP, service and content providers, with a mature open-source IP Address Management (IPAM) solution, organizing the process of IP address space tracking, including IPv4 and IPv6 management.
- NetDot: an open source tool to help network administrators collect, organise and maintain information. Features IPv4 and IPv6 address space management including hierarchical organization, address block visualization and IP and MAC address location and tracking. Also provides device discovery via SNMP, Layer 2 topology discovery and graphing, generates zone files for ISC BIND and ISC DHCPD configurations.
- HaCi: an IP address/network administration tool with IPv6 support. It stores data efficiently in a relational database and uses a treelike structure to illustrate supernets and subnets. Manage network trees ordered by roots, add IPv4 and IPv6 networks, show subnets, split, copy, move, delete etc, import networks from other sources, language localization.
- IPplan: a free (GPL), web based, multilingual, TCP/IP address management and tracking tool written in php 4. Also includes DNS administration, configuration file management, circuit management and storing of hardware information. Support for IPv6 (currently in BETA from version 6.00-BETA1).
- 6Connect/IPAM Automation: Commercial product, but free version is available. IPv4 and IPv6 subnet calculations for tracking of assignments and unassigned space, supports IPv4 and IPv6 through single dynamic interface, integrated with ARIN and RIPE APIs for IP assignments, ties reverse DNS records to IP assignments automatically, DNSSEC support built-in, including signed zone management and DS key generation.
- Infoblox IPAM Express: Freeware - unified solution to manage, control and report your IP address space. Automatically identify used, unused and conflicting addresses in minutes. Simple, one-look view of all IP assignments. Supports IPv6, up and running in minutes!
Commercial IPv6 IPAM Packages
- Infoblox IP Address Management: The Trinzic IPAM product family includes the base IPAM product (part of the Trinzic DDI bundle), a freeware version, and add-ons for VMware virtualization and Microsoft server environments. IPAM automates and simplifies IP address management for a more resilient network while yielding significant savings in labor and bother.
- BlueCat Address Manager: BlueCat Address Manager is a powerful IP Address Management (IPAM) solution to take control of complex and dynamic networks. With integrated core services, workflow and automation, it can centrally manage every connected device on a network from a single pane of glass. It provides network intelligence and insight into the relationship between devices, users and IP addresses that can be put into action to improve security and ensure reliable, always-on business connectivity.
- SolarWinds IP Address Manager: helps you plan your IPv4 to IPv6 migration by creating and testing multiple scenarios before implementation. Add, edit, and delete IPv6 addresses and subnets; search for IPv4 or IPv6 addresses and find the "other side" address on dual-stack devices; create and edit IPv6 groups for organizing network components; easily view IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in dual-stack devices; add, delete, or edit individual or ranges of IPv6 addresses, edit IPv6 prefixes.
- Crypton/Easy-IP: an IP Address Management solution designed to help you understand, plan and manage IP Address space across your entire network infrastructure. Control IP address assignment, migrate seamlessly from IPv4 to IPv6, discover existing network devices, find out your subnet utilization, document IP address plans. Using a powerful SNMP auto-discovery engine, Easy-IP maintains an accurate, up-to-date inventory for all subnets, IP addresses and network devices.
- BTDiamondIP: cohesive and simplified management of IP address space, subnets, individual address assignment, DNS and DHCP in one integrated solution. Available as a software application or pre-installed on appliances. Provides centralized, full lifecycle management of IP management functions, including IPv4 and IPv6 address space assignment, allocation/reallocation, monitoring, tracking and deployment of multi-vendor DNS and DHCP configurations.
- Icognito Software/Address Commander: uses robust Java APIs to incorporate IP address allocations and reclaims into your OSS. Manages IPv4 and IPv6 dynamic scopes and static IP assignments through a single interface. Maintains data validity and detects problematic configurations and duplicate assignments. Easily generates comprehensive reports detailing IP address allocations. Integrates multiple regional DHCP deployments.
- EfficientIP/SOLIDserver™ Appliance: IPv6 address management through an appliance and a centralised, web-based interface. Detects IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on your network and centralises all the data in the interface. Helps implement Dual Stack configurations to maintain communication between IPv4 and IPv6 devices. Supports DNS AAAA and PTR (DNAME) records for IPv6 DNS resolution, as well as ip6.int and ip6.arpa domains.
- Men and Mice/IP Address Management Module: Licence free for 6 months for IPv6 migration purposes only. Part of Men & Mice Suite Management Modules: DNS Management, DHCP Management, IP Address Management, DNS Expert and DNS Expert AD Monitor. Working together, the modules provide a unique management solution that enables organizations to keep track of their IP address space, individual hosts on the network, and their associations in DNS and DHCP.